Earlier this year I upgraded to the iPhone XS Max, but I’m still in love with my iPhone SE.
The phone is affordable, takes great pictures, and still works great. In terms of value, I think the iPhone SE still stacks up as elite. The phone even delivers above-average VR, if you can find a good headset that is.
Today I’m sharing the best VR headsets for the iPhone SE, including the pros and cons for each.
In this article, I’m going to review the following headsets:
How to Choose the Best VR Headset for iPhone SE
I honestly think that most VR headsets for iPhones are junk. A lot of these come from cheap suppliers and aren’t worth the few dollars that you’ll spend on them. If you’re in the market for a headset, here are some things to look out for:
A comfortable head strap
When you get down to brass tacks, VR means strapping things to your head. Even if it’s just a pound, this weight can affect your neck or head. You will want a headset that is light in order to stop these strains. Trust me on this one.
Unlike Android, controller support for iOS devices is limited to MFi (Made For iPhone) devices. Unfortunately, this makes controlling apps in VR a pain in the butt.
You’re often limited to just a button or two working and this limits your experience. When you shop for a VR headset for your iPhone SE, you’ll want one with a controller or button. This saves you from frustration as you try to navigate the VR world.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Using VR on Your iPhone SE?
Sure, there are some phones that are more capable of delivering quality VR than the iPhone SE. However, these phones are much more expensive, and they still have some drawbacks. I have enjoyed many VR apps on my SE, and you can too. Here are some pros and cons to using the iPhone SE for VR:
The Must Download Apps for iPhone SE VR
The Best iPhone SE VR Headsets We Found
I’ve scoured the internet and spent a lot of time looking for good VR headsets for my iPhone SE. It was a chore because there’s just so much garbage. After whittling things away, these are the best headsets that I could find.
BNext Universal VR Goggles
- Perfect gift for kids & adults – This premium VR headset is the perfect present for father's day, Halloween, Easter, or Christmas. Compatible with smartphones and other mobile phone devices with a 4"-6.3” screen to bring you a totally immersive visual 360 experience.
- VR smartphone compatibility: Compatible with smartphones with a gyro sensor (almost all models) and with a 4"-6.3” screen. VR goggles are compatible with models X, XR, XS, 8, 8 plus, 9, 9 plus, 11, 11 pro, 12 mini, 12 pro, SE, etc. Also compatible with Samsung Android Galaxy note 20, s20, one plus, Box VR, Google Pixel etc. Headset can also support drones that require a phone VR headset.
The BNext Universal VR Goggles are spectacular. The headset feels like my Gear VR, with a great head strap and nice foam cushion. These combine to make the BNext comfortable. It’s the closest thing I can find to higher end mobile VR headsets.
If there’s a downside to the goggles, it’s mainly due to the enclosed design. My iPhone got really hot in there, and I thought I was going to overheat the device. I recommend not playing for too long in order to have heat related issues.
VR Wear VR Headset
- VIRTUAL REALITY AVAILABLE - A new high-quality VR Viewer from VR WEAR for the great experience of plunging into a video, game, educational or entertaining program, a virtual tour or trip. Enjoy a panoramic spherical 360 degree video or watch films with IMAX cinema effects and more
- VR HEADSET WITH MAXIMUM POSSIBILITIES - Our VR accessories have a comfortable lens adjustment in 4 directions for EACH EYE separately - adjusting the focus and IPD (interpupillary distance). A high-quality big lens with an increased 105 degree vision angle for more precise image and the reduction of dizzying effect
VR Wear’s headset doesn’t feel as nice as BNext’s, but it does have some things going for it. The front cover folds down, making this device easy to set up. There is a magnetic button on the side, which lets you navigate app menus.
Both of these are great touches, especially for casual users. I didn’t have the overheating issue with this headset, but it wasn’t nearly as comfortable as the BNext.
Tepoinn 3D VR Glasses
I’ve seen the Tepoinn 3D VR Glasses under many names over the years. The design is pretty generic, but for basic VR use they get the job done. This was my first mobile VR headset and I still have it today. The face foam is dense and feels good, but the straps aren’t comfortable.
I do like how these goggles have the same fold and load setup as the VR Wear. There’s also a dial for adjusting the distance of the lenses, which is good for those with narrow or wide eye spaces.
Shinecon VR Headset
- ★★We only make delicate product!★★VR headset for iPhone/Android phone Compatible 4.7-6 inch,3D glasses can turn mobile phones into cinemas/3D game halls.With Bluetooth remote controller, the effect is better.(PLEASE NOTE:Some software and games do not support the Bluetooth remote control.This is the reason of the software and has nothing to do with the product.The remote is only applicable to iOS 11.2.5 or lower due to the sealing of the iOS system)
- ★★Upgraded Version of vr glasses★★With comfortable adjustable earphone, adjust headphones freely. 3D phase sound technology brings you immersion audition experience in three-dimensional space, good sound insulation effect and strong bass, easy experience of VR immersion in the world.
Shinecon is a brand that’s known for quality. This shows with the Shinecon VR headset, which is a premium model. It includes 3D audio headphones that snap to the headset. The sound is superior, and I liked it more than any other model.
You also get the lens adjustment knobs with two dials. This allows you to better calibrate the lenses to your eyes and the results are awesome. A game controller is thrown in, but for iOS devices it’s only good for one button.
Hamswan VR Goggles
- HAMSWAN SC-Y005 3D Virtual Reality Headset features its innovative fabric design, light weight and comfortable wearing, which contribute to immersive visual experience with high definition photos
- 【Outstanding 3D Virtual Reality Experience】 This 3D VR Glasses' panoramic view and high quality 3D photos bring you an unlimited world
The Hamswan VR Goggles look like the Google Daydream headset. They both have the same fabric exterior. Outside of this, the Hamswan is a lot like the VR Wear, without the magnetic button. The goggles have an IPD adjustment dial and were resistant to my sweaty body causing fog.
It does feel nice, but the balance of the goggles themselves made the Hamswan a chore to wear for long periods of time. I used this headset while laying down, and recommend you do also.
I still enjoy using my iPhone SE for media consumption. It’s a viable platform, provided you have a good headset. After looking at many sets, the five above are the best of the best. I like the Shinecon VR Headset the best.
While it’s not perfect, it does a lot of things well. The included 3D audio headphones and comfort make it perfect to watch videos on. This headset is the closest you’ll get to something like an Oculus Go for iOS. It has a good weight to it, and it even comes with a controller.
If you’re interested in checking out the VR Shinecon, you can do so by checking here.